Rules: COSTUME CON 4 FUTURISTIC DESIGN CONTEST
Costume Con 4 invites you to unlimber, or unleash, your imaginations (depending on your imagination) and give us your views of future clothing.
What kind of clothing will we wear? What accessories? What materials will clothes be made of? Will we have spray on dresses or pour on hats?
What would a 24th century bride consider elegant? Or a 23rd century student, necessary?
Designs can be for men, women, children, and even aliens. You can design work clothes, leisure wear, everyday clothes, sports wear, play clothes, evening wear, ceremonial or religious outfits, uniforms, space suits, theater and dance wear and anything else you can imagine. Be inventive and have fun.
We'd also like to see what kind of accessories you can create. They don't have to go with any specific outfit.
Hats, gloves, walking sticks, Jewelry, etc. What about credit card rings? (That could lend new meaning to a marriage ceremony.) They can be fun, musical earrings. Or practical, a doctor's sensor bracelet.
We'd also like to try two new categories.
One, is designs for Heavy Worlders. Heavy Worlders, depending on the gravity of their planet would tend to run anywhere from small and stocky to medium and broad. In any case they would be very solidly built, massive rather than fat. The designs should fit the body types and the world.
The second category is to design outfits for the two or three main characters from your favorite S.F. or Fantasy Novel. (Please no gruesome horror characters) This category will require a bit more thought because we'd like you to try to design specifically for the world, the character and the setting or scene. Is the character young, old, rich, poor, male, female, neuter. Is the world hot, dry, cold, wet, or a combination. All these things can and will be reflected in a costume.
If you enter this category, please send us a xerox of the particular passage in the book pertaining to the character and the costume he or she is wearing.
(We would prefer you not use any of the major characters from any S.F. or Fantasy novels that have recently been made into movies.
Please come and Join in the fun. Artistic skill isn't necessary, send us a SASE and we'll send you some figures you can draw over. Or have a friend draw them up for you.
THE DEADLINE IS DECEMBER 15, 1985
Please mail all entries or questions to:
F.W.Evans (Address Removed)
DESIGN CONTEST RULES
Winning designs will be made up and worn in the Futuristic Fashion Show. If you wish to wear one of your own designs, should it win, please indicate this on the back of the design.
Please try to adhere to these rules. Failure to do so, may disqualify your entries.
1. All designs must be ORIGINAL IDEAS. You can draw your design on a traced figure or have someone else draw it, but the idea must not have been used before. If someone other than the designer is drawing the design, please give them credit on the back of the design.
2. Your name and address MUST be marked clearly on the back of EACH design sheet submitted, NOT Just on the envelope or Just one of the entries.
3. All designs should be on 8 1/2 by 11 inch paper. White is preferred. Detail work may be put on extra sheets.
4. You may, in fact we encourage you to, submit your designs in color. But we must have a black and white copy of your design for reproduction in the Fashion Folio. Please make sure your black and white drawing is clean and will reproduce well. Remember to put your name and address on the back of it.
5. All drawings should be xeroxes or any other clear, non-smudging reproduction. Please DO NOT SEND us original art.
6. Number entries consecutively on the back in the upper right hand corner. Example: if you submit 4 designs, they will be numbered as follows. #1 of 4, #2 of 4, etc. Your black and white set should be labeled 'Copy #1 of 4,etc.
7. Enter as many designs as you wish and as often as you wish, PRIOR TO THE DEADLINE of DECEMBER 15, 1985.
8. Please identify the source of your inspiration (if any) on the back of the design. Book, poem, movie, your own imagination, etc. We would prefer that you not submit designs from the more obvious media sources; i.e., Star Wars, Star Trek, Dr. Who, 'V', Battiestar Galactica, 2010,Dune, etc.
9. PLEASE BE NEAT' Make your design lines clean and clear. Use a fixative on anything that may smudge before you mail it to,us.
10. You DO NOT have to be a member of CC4 to enter the Design Contest. This contest is open to any interested person of any sex or age. (Aliens are especially welcome, Just let us know what planet you hail from.)
ll. Your designs will not be returned unless you request it and have included a BIG ENOUGH S.A.S.E. with SUFFICIENT POSTAGE.
12. By submitting designs to CC4 you agree to the non-profit use and publication of said designs by CC4, prior to and during the run of the convention. All rights will revert back to the designer after the convention.
Master of Ceremonies: Janet Wilson